Tuesday, February 21, 2012

80's Music

Yesterday I watched part of Whitney Houston's funeral. Part of the speech was about Whitney and how she struggled with her insecurities. This struck a chord in me, about no matter how famous or talented one is, there is still the universal condition of insecurities and ways in which we limit ourselves and view ourselves in a distorted way.

It breaks my heart that we do this to ourselves. And it's so sad that at times people like Whitney end up killing themselves because of it. There are many tools to help with these types of feelings and thoughts that can support people to cope in a healthier way. What helps you?

As for me, since my early 20's I longed for something more than just work, socializing, friends and family. I would always say: "Is this it?" Now, I don't say that anymore and along the way I have learned tools that have helped me not identify and believe my thoughts and feelings as real. I know that might sound strange...but it's too difficult to explain. However, if you are interested in learning more about the resources, I can provide them to you. For example, Ken Wilber, Diane Hamilton, meditation and the "Work" by Gurdjieff,(Psychological Commentaries by Maurice Nicoll, 1 - 5 Volumes) have been the major influences of transforming my life.

After watching part of the funeral, I ended up listening to all kinds of old 80's music on youtube, which brought up so many memories and feelings. If you have some time, listen to some of your favorite old songs from when you were young.  It's quite therapeutic.


No comments:

Post a Comment